Breakfast with our Birds in Australia

10 October 2022

I still cannot get over the happenings at the four Australian nests yesterday. Just when you begin to relax, things begin to happen – some good and some worrisome. SE 30 did not return to the nest last night. At least one adult is sleeping on the nest tree. From experiences with the sea eagles in the past, it is not clear if fledglings are fed elsewhere or if the parents want the eaglets to return to the nest for prey. What is clear is that the Currawongs are, while quite small, dangerous as a group to the eaglets. They force them to do things they might not do if they were older and more experienced. SE29 is in care. I hope SE30 is being seen by boots on the ground or is found. Port Lincoln Osplets ate well despite the nest being somewhat unstable with Big still needing to have firm control. Diamond was doing better with Rufus early on and all the anxiety over the eyases overheating at Melbourne is passed.

Australian Nests:

So what is in store for us today at the four Australian nests? Right now, it is 12:43 pm in Canada and it is the wee hours of the morning in Australia. Everyone is still sleeping.

Mum flew off of the 367 Collins Street nest at 06:12:30 returning at 06:16 to feed the four eyases. Looks like a nice pigeon breakfast.

As the rose gold of the morning filtered over the scrape, Mum was just finishing up the feeding at 06:33:30 when she was clearing up the scraps from the pigeon. Every eyas was well fed and ready for a nap.

An adult is at the Sydney Sea Eagle nest looking out for SE29 and SE30 to come to the nest for breakfast. Oh, how I had hoped that SE30 would be on that nest. It looks as if the inevitable – the Currawongs chasing the fledglings out of the forest – has come to pass. A few of us went to that place where you wish you could just rid the forest of the Pied Currawong.

It is 06:40 in Orange and Diamond is waiting anxiously for Xavier to bring in breakfast. You can tell as she raises and lowers herself that the wee ones are getting restless. Xavier is normally here right at dawn!

Just a note about the feeding of Rufus. It appears that there are several individuals counting ‘bites’. The only bites that count are the ones that have prey and are eaten. Diamond is a master of placing food in Rufus’s beak and then removing it. So just be careful…

Diamond went to the ledge at 06:57 giving us a good look at those cute eyases, Rufus and Indigo. Rufus is ravenous and has this incredible thing of moving its nest way back with its beak wide open. This morning he is thinking that Indigo might feed him. So, now we know that those eyes are not fully working yet.

Diamond does some amazing stretches. It must make birds ‘stiff’ too after brooding all night.

‘Indigo, can you feed me?’

Diamond returns empty taloned.

Xavier arrived at 08:03 with a nice fat pigeon which Diamond quickly took and fed Rubus and Indigo.

At Port Lincoln, everyone appears to be awake and they are waiting for the first fish of the day to arrive from Dad.

That fish did come in at 07:24 and everyone had an amazing breakfast with big crops.

Other Nest News:

Lady Hawk posted a video of Samson and Gabby bonding in the Jacksonville Bald Eagle Nest. I thought you might be interested. Parents to Romey and Jules (2019), Legacy (2020) and Jasper and Rocket (2021).

Lady Hawk has also posted an update on the nest building of Harriet and M15. They are making great progress after Hurricane Ian completely destroyed their nest.

Lori Covert, owner of the Captiva property with the nests of ospreys, Andy and Lena, and eagles, Clive and Connie, has helped Connor of Window to Wildlife secure transportation to Captiva Island to retrieve the cameras from the Osprey platform destroyed by the Hurricane Ian. I am certain he will be taking video footage and posting information for us when he can. He anticipates that the bridge connecting the mainland of Florida to the barrier islands will not be repaired til late November or December. This might make it difficult to replace the nest and camera but, there are always boats!

In Manitoba, where I live, a Red-tail Hawk has been killed on an unprotected hydro pole. Letters and images will be sent to Manitoba Hydro and to the leader of our opposition to make Manitoba Hydro accountable.

Thank you so much for being with me today. Take care everyone. They all had a good breakfast on the three nests and we wish for SE30 to be safe. See you soon.

Thank you to the following for their posts and their streaming cams where I took my screen captures: Sea Eagles@Birdlife Australia Discovery Centre Sydney Olympic Park, 367 Collins Street by Mirvac, Port Lincoln Ospreys, and Charles Sturt Falcon Cam, Manitoba Birding Wildife and Photography FB, and Lady Hawk.

Leave a Reply